Developments with a Sense of Place:Exploring Mixed Use Complexes & Pocket Neighborhoods
A PARADIGM SHIFT
Traditional senior living communities tend to focus on the lifestyle and amenity spaces internally within a centralized commons area. Providers, developers and designers at AG Architecture are now exploring different planning strategies to attract the new market of seniors, housing options that offer the details and amenities of the neighborhoods they know and love.
AG Architecture has used several master planning techniques to better define the potential for intergenerational, mixed use environments. With the benefits of walkable urban environments in mind, the goal is to provide a vibrant social and living environment for the senior living resident. The following strategies show how to integrate senior living into the heart of a walkable urban community.
- Provide a variety of housing types
- Create organization around activity
- Locate residential entries on the street
- Include integrated amenities
- Offer independent retail opportunities
- Create connections to mixed residential uses
- Reinforce indoor and outdoor connections